89 Integra Tune Up Help?

AshUhLee

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right area.. I read threw a bunch of previous threads on Tune Up's and they were pretty helpful but I need more specific help. I just bought an 89' about a month ago, have had tons of issues with it that are hopefully getting resolved with some help. I've owned a Prelude and did some work on it myself so I know a little but not a whole lot. I really want to do a Tune Up on my car myself but I definitely need some help. I know I need to do the spark plug and wires, air filter, fuel filter and "cap and rotor"(not even gonna lie, I have no clue what that means). I read in another forum that the NGK plugs & wires, Honda Cap & Rotor, K&N Air Filter and Honda Fuel Filters are the "best". I want to know if that's true or if there's better options for me. I have all the tools and space to do it, just need a little help on what to buy/what's reasonably priced. I'm not trying to build a race car or anything, I'm a single mom who really needs reliable transportation. I got kind of screwed in this deal, but I know with some love my C3PO is going to be amazing. If anybody has any tips or tricks to make this easier on me that would be awesome! :)

94RS

No fucks given.
Don't forget the oil change :thumbs up

Cap and rotor = Distributor parts. Where the spark plug wires plug in is the cap, the rotor is inside. I used AutoZone/Advance parts when I did my tune up when I bought the car, worked fine for me.

As for the K&N filter.... In all honesty, I wouldn't waste money on a K&N filter for an 86-89. The "performance gains" that you would see, if any, would be minimal as hell for the price. Again, when I bought my car, Autozone wanted $90 for a K&N filter (a full intake goes for slightly more than that), so I just went with the $4 STP air filter for the time being. No problems from that.

I used Bosch plugs, but NGK plugs are what everyone recommends, so I'd stick to those. Also, Autozone/Advance Auto wires worked fine for me.

I'm sure all of the things that you listed are what people say are the best, but the cheaper parts worked just fine for me. I also was broke as hell when I did everything after buying the car, so I was on kind of a tight budget :lol:

Last edited:

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
^ Right on!

Oh yeah, Prelude! I loved my 3rd gen Prelude until the carburetor got wacky.

EDIT:94RS answered faster than me