'89 Integra Stock, Springs, or Coils??

RLafayette

Hello everyone,

This is my first Integra. I own a stock '89 Integra and this is going to be my daily commuter; so i dont plan on doing anything too crazy to it. I just want it to keep its good gas mileage and help the motor run for a long time.

Everything on the car is good at the moment except for the suspension. Saying that I'm riding on a waterbed would be a pretty big understatement. With some of the research I've done, going to stock suspension thats new, or buying new springs or Coilovers would mainly be around the same price give or take 100.

I've heard arguments for every side. Stock will be a smooth ride; though i prefer to have some solid handling due to the fact stiff suspension is basically the only thing ive driven on; with my Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Eclipse.

What would you guys recommend? Go back to stock or shell out the money for Spring/Struts or Coilovers.

Ive also heard that while springs or coils will make it handle a little better on the day to day driving it generally handles a little worse; such as never tracking completely straight and possible putting more strain on other parts of the car.

PLEASE Help!! im quite lost.
:(

Speedie408

Gen 1 tegs don't utilize the double wishbone suspension seen on later gens. They use torsion bars and struts up front. I don't know if there are any aftermarket products to strengthen the front suspension, other than getting shorter struts if you want to lower it. There are 2 adjusting nut/bolt at the torsion bars to lower or raise the front end.

enoch723

Speedie is correct. There is some aftermarket torsion bars that are just a little bigger and stiffer but there basically useless.

What I did was replaced the struts with monroes and adjusted the height to stock height with the ride height nut. Rides great now. Your is probably still running on the original struts which I can guarantee are tired. Lol.

If you wanted to get a hold of the bigger torsion bars check out g1teg.org or get a hold of danny carlson (owner of nwclassichonda) he can either get a set for you or point you in the right direction

RLafayette

Awesome thank you guys. This is my first integra, after working on my subaru for so long, everything the integra offers is very foreign.

I after more research I found that eiter the Monroe struts or Tokico Blues would be the closest to what i want out of the suspension.

I definitely want to stay as close to the stock hieght as possible, maybe a little lower if the benefits are good. My plans is to keep the car running as long as possible, and keep it looking nice. Its at 253,000 and still running strong, with everything stock except a new distributer. So far I'm loving my G1.

Enoch, do you see any benefits to either the monroes or Tokicos? as to which would have better ride or support for the '89?

enoch723

I have monroes on my teg and tokis on my 86 civic and to be completely honest even though people will probably flame about it.. the monroes actually have a lot better ride. The tokis have a lot stiffer ride and are good for cornering and everything but for comfort I would go with the monroes.

When it comes to durability I wouldnt know because I have had my tokis for a few years without a problem and have only had the monroes for a few months, but they still havent shown any wear