87 LS suddenly quit-Help!

captainsolo

Hi guys, my 87 LS suddenly died on the way back form work a few nights back, and darned if it wasn't the weirdest thing. I had gotten off the interstate with no issues and was nearly home on a quiet suburban road when it seemed as if the engine itself had cut out. All electrics remained on and working properly, but while the car was coming to a stop if you touched the gas pedal at all, it only furthered the slowing and quitting of the engine. I wound up having to tow it home where my dad and I have gone over everything we can think of that might be wrong.
Added fuel, checked timing belt, alternator, converter, and the engine coil still gives a spark. We had had trouble with coils before and went through several before realizing that it wasn't grounded properly, and after doing that haven't had any problems for months. The car will still work with all systems and electrics, but simply won't turn over.
Before I have to tow it to a shop (because I haven't had the best of luck with shops locally) , I wanted to ask if anyone has an idea as to what could suddenly make it quit like this. I'm pretty much at a loss.

enoch723

How did you check the alternator? Not that I think you did it wrong, just the only thing I can think of that would cause it to die while your moving. The belt didnt break or something and guys missed it or something?

Bump

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Clogged Cat? Unbolt at the header and see if it runs, if it has one that is.

captainsolo

Thanks for the responses, sorry it took a while to reply.

Didn't mean to say alternator previously. It does indeed crank but will not fire. The first two settings still work properly, meaning that lights, radio, signals all work perfectly.

Checked the fuel pump and did the quick method which resulted in the bit of gas coming out fine. thinking now it may actually be the engine coil going out again. I thought it had sparked but maybe it's just too weak. The grounding we did is still there and looks fine.