87' Acura Integra in Hawaii - won't start after rain

surge2k

This Acura is way over in Molokai, HI. No good autoshops on the island mean that I have to fix it on my own (unless I want to pay a fortune). Could someone help? Here is the email my dad wrote me saying whats wrong:

----

Bryan,
When you have a little time, could you research some of your old troubleshooting websites for Lee and I ? The car was parked up on the front of his lot since I was there last April. It had a tarp over it to keep the water out. He pulled it off a couple weeks ago, started up right away as usual. He drove it around for a few days, took it into town for the safety inspection, everything was fine. He parked it up by his house, they had about 5" of rain, the back floor was full of water, the front was real damp, but the engine compartment was dry as a bone. Said he didn't go through any huge puddles or streams. Anyway, since then, when he can get it running, its only for a few minutes, then it dies. Mostly it just kicks over for a second or two then dies. Says he's getting the red light for the fuel injection on the dash, and some clicking occasionally up behind the glove box. He thinks its a sensor of some kind. Would you see what you can find out for us ? I
might go over to LCD and pick their brains too. Thanks !
Dad
----

I was thinking some kind of electronics got damaged in the fuel-injection system. What could it be? Thanks...

surge2k

well the thing is, nothing in the engine compartment got wet. At least thats what I think. Where is the ECU on the old gen1 integras so I can check it out?

And yes, its a stock integra.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Start with the cheap and easy things first to narrow it down. I would go drain out the old gas (that could potentially have water in it anyway) and put new in.

surge2k

Thanks guys, I'll have my buddy check the ECU first (since the inside of the car got damp), then start to check the fuel system for water leaks. The car has a lot of rust everywhere so leaking is a big problem obviously. It would definitely suck if water got into the gas tank!