3rd gear grind..synchro going??

datGiSeR

Everytime i push it and go into third the bitch grinds.. im thinking 3rd synchro is bout to bust, but only when im racing and shit, regular driving its aight..What do you guys think?? If thats the case is this a minor problem??

TougeRunner

Solid Snake kills himself
yup, just your synchros buddy, my old tranny did that, and after driving it like that, it started doing it even while not hauling ass, also it would pop out of gear in sharp corners.

When I had mine checked out he said it'd be cheaper to just get a new tranny, said several synchros were out (and they were, 2nd, third, and 4th lol)

But it might be different in your case man.

Last edited:

LewmaticDC2

yea mines grind in 3rd gear too but only above 3000rpms. and from a cold start it doesnt grind until a couple minutes later of driving.

DeAcevedo45

Second Glance
A transmission fluid called Syncromesh is known to help or even eliminate the 3rd gear grind on the G2, you might want to pick some up and try your luck.

sober153

my tranny was grinding third also, i changed my tranny fluid, i used gm synchromesh, and now its so damn smooth, no grind anymore, now im not sure if its the synchromesh or if my tranny badly needed a fluid change. But just try it

TougeRunner

Solid Snake kills himself
Oh shit, I had no idea about that stuff, good shit guys, well just double clutch like you're driving an old pickup untill you can get some of the goodness ^_^

datGiSeR

Is synchromesh like an additive or is it trans fluid?? Can i get it at pep boys, advance auto??

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
datGSR said:
Is synchromesh like an additive or is it trans fluid?? Can i get it at pep boys, advance auto??
Myself said:
GM Synchromesh Friction Modified
This is most likely what you want if you're having synchro grinds. It is a product of GM (General Motors) and is great. I've seen it work wonders on many cars with synchro grinds in the tranny. It is made by General Motors and regardless of your stance on domestic stuff or whatever, just ask people's opinion. I'm sure that their are many who will vouch for it. You gotta get it at a dealership but it isn't too pricey and I would say well worth it. Some may try to tell you that it is only for differential but..for example, I've done more than 20 sub 12 second passes with an AWD car running 430+AWD ft/lbs of torque (serious abuse) and just a magnetic drain plug to collect any metal that may get worn off or broken. It always comes clean, it reduces notchy shifting and helps reduce synchro grinds. Depending on how bad they are of course. It can get beyond the point of no return but it's worth the $20-$30 and 20 minutes it takes to change it IMO

Last edited:

datGiSeR

Cool dude im gonna look for the stuff this week.. Ill try it out this weekend because im gonna drop and put my exhaust on also