2nd o2 sensor

twlplague

why does the stock cat have two o2 censors?
1 in the back and 1 in the front... is the back one that important?

i got a test pipe and it does not have a hole for the 2nd o2 censor.

nautica_t

there's a read up on how o2 sensors work, but if you throw that test pipe on you'll throw a CEL code, and you're car will run richer and you'll be stinky with gas smells because you're now rich.

newspeed

twlplague said:
why does the stock cat have two o2 censors?
1 in the back and 1 in the front... is the back one that important?

i got a test pipe and it does not have a hole for the 2nd o2 censor.

the downstream o2 sensor (one after cat) measures the efficiency of the cat. when i was putting my exhaust on we had to torch some bolts and accidently heated the o2 sensor causing a CEL. however this has not effected perfomance. so you might be able to leave it out and live with the cel

nautica_t

you're car won't run as efficient without the secondary o2. cause the secondary like you said checks the efficiency of the cat. the primary gets a reading and if its not relevent to the second than it'll correct the mixture pending on what needs to be adjusted. but without it'll keep running rich from my understanding.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I don't see how the engine can be completely unaffected when it's 2nd O2 sensor is suddenly gone. I wouldn't just take it out and leave it at that, live with a CEL?, screw that! I say just spend the 20 bucks at a muffler shop and have an O2 bung put in your testpipe, problem's solved.

twlplague

ya that is what i was really leanin towards...i just didnt know if the only reason for that o2 censor was to see if your cat was working

nautica_t

TegSox said:
I don't see how the engine can be completely unaffected when it's 2nd O2 sensor is suddenly gone. I wouldn't just take it out and leave it at that, live with a CEL?, screw that! I say just spend the 20 bucks at a muffler shop and have an O2 bung put in your testpipe, problem's solved.
tegsox even if he welded another o2 sensor bung he'll still throw a code.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Oh yeah, were talking about a test pipe here, doh! :smackself

Sorry, I can't help you on doing an O2 bypass, cuz:
-I'm OBD1
-I would never use a test pipe for any reason anyway, so I would never have the need to learn how to bypass an O2 sensor, or an O2 censor for that matter. :p

Get a high flow cat! There, NOW the problem's solved, lol.
-no stinky exhaust
-no CEL
-no O2 bypass needed
-you'll pass emmissions/inspection
-no chance of huge fines, cuz we all know test pipes aern't street legal
-it's good for the planet, you'll feel better about yourself for doing the right thing.

Boy, all kinds of problems get solved by using a high flow cat.

mteg

Automatic Lover
If you want to bypass the 2nd O2 sensor, you need to buy an O2 simulator. You can find them on E-bay for about $20. If you don't use one your car will throuw a code and will go into a "limp" mode becuase it thinks something is wrong.