1989 LS 3 door Exhaust Manifold

awright3331

G1 TEG
You have all in some way helped me on something with my G1 LS 3 door, so I am needing help with one more exhaust related thing:

Tonight, I drove from arlington to mansfield to fort worth, No issues. But after the car sat for 4 hours while I helped get a friends car back on the road, I started it up and started my way back to arlington, from I20 and Mcart avenue, about a mile from the exit to mansfield highway the car started hesitating a little bit, then the check engine light came on.

Recently we had noticed that the wire for the sensor on the manifold was gone, I know it was good because before I started on all this exhaust work lately it was there and my car ran fine. The donut gasket is not yet there because I need to buy a new one,now my exhaust system is on the car as of tonight. This sensor has not been hooked up for a few days, but ive driven my teg around the area and it did just fine.

Now would this sensor not being hooked up, cause this. My check engine light didnt stay on, so I couldnt read the code. Also, one of my manifold gaskets is bad. There are NO leaks now because everything is sealed, the entire exhaust system is on the car and was pulled off of an 89 integra 4 door LS from the junkyard.. I know this because of A) The way it sounds and B) I did a compression test using both hands on the mufflers tips and after a few seconds, right as it started to bog the motor down I released and upon release of the muffler the exhaust proved a successful install. A compression test on the fuel system showed that the fuel pump is not only priming but also pumping at the correct PSI.

Would any of the above cause this?
Is it because its a new system and maybe it thinks that the system is not sealed properly?
Should I try resetting the ECU so that it recognizes the sensor is not hooked up, and that theres a new exhaust system with no catalytic converter , but the resonator?

Also, my car has been throwing IAT sensor diagnostic code every now in then since I bought it, have looked into it have no idea where it is or how to replace it

Last edited:

enoch723

Only real sensors the blacktop have is the tps and an o2 sensor

Was it on the intake mani or the exhaust mani? I would guess though that its the o2 on the exhaust mani.. just took awhile for the pgmfi to "compensate" for the missing o2 aince you just got the exhaust done

Last edited:

awright3331

G1 TEG
Yes it was on the exhaust manifold i dont remember how it was hooked up

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk HD

enoch723

Yeah it was the o2 sensor which you should bring back to the person that did your exhaust and tell them their idiots and they need to fix it. They just need to cut a hole and weld a threaded inner bolt essentially can screw the o2 back in. Did you get a new exhaust mani or something?

awright3331

G1 TEG
should have a spot for the o2 on the left of it when your standing in front
Yeah, the o2 is in it, but its not hooked up and i cant get it out of the manifold. That sensor is the last fuel economy related item I need to replace in order to have my good gas mileage back

But all thats doing is throwing a check engine light, but its not going to cause the car to start hesitating, atleast you wouldnt think so. There could possibly be a fouled spark plug or two because of the fact that when I stop at a stop sign or a red light the engine lobes down under 200 rpm and shakes real bad but that could also be caused by a vacuum leak or bad plug wires(I don't think that the coil pack is going out because its brand new) It cant be due to theres not a cat converter on it because that would only make it run better in my experience. Timing isnt off because it fires right up and runs smooth. Its got new fuel injectors and a new fuel filter so the lines arent stopped up. The exhaust is flowing normal its not stopped up. i cant think of anything that would cause hesitation like that.

Things I have noticed:
It wont do it all the time
The right side CV axle is going out and needs to be replaced
My engine needs to be pulled out and separated from my transmission and a seal there be replaced

enoch723

check the throttle body make sure it isnt dirty and check to make sure the cams are timed right. When I got mine I had a similar issue and it ended up being the exhaust cam being a tooth off. It stopped it from dropping real low but what really made the difference was cleaning the EACV. Yours being a black top will have the same problem with the EACV, notorious in our cars

enoch723

Well there is actually 2 seals. Either pump seal or main seal. If you got an oil leak that looks like its coming from that area, dont assume its one of those seals cause it could easily be the head gasket leaking down. Biggest lesson I ever learned when it comes to oil leaks dont assume anything. Get a dye test and make sure before you do anything. Head gasket isnt easy to fix but a whole shit load easier then any lower seals.

Side note, I put up my zc cams for sale on here. 200+shipping obo

awright3331

G1 TEG
Well there is actually 2 seals. Either pump seal or main seal. If you got an oil leak that looks like its coming from that area, dont assume its one of those seals cause it could easily be the head gasket leaking down. Biggest lesson I ever learned when it comes to oil leaks dont assume anything. Get a dye test and make sure before you do anything. Head gasket isnt easy to fix but a whole s*** load easier then any lower seals.

Side note, I put up my zc cams for sale on here. 200+shipping obo
Alrighty, im not losing or burning any oil ever since i did that oil pan gasket, and I put some bars leaks with water pump lube in my radiator now im not losing any coolant or oil, the only thing i can think of with that is trans oil the transmission shifts easy as hell. But here in a minute im going to jack it up and check the gear oil and see. im hoping its just that.