1989 Integra RS Hesitation

sabre1fv

I have a stock '89 Integra with 183K miles on it and I have a random hesitation that occurs in all weather conditions and when the engine is cold or warm. I have looked at the usual stuff: plugs, wires, EACV, looked for vacuum leaks, etc. and found nothing out of the ordinary. No illuminated engine light either. Typically occurs between 2500 and 3500 RPM and is momentary - usually a single hesitation, but sometimes several in fairly rapid succession. I have thought either fuel or the TPS. If I accelerate harder the engine responds in a normal fashion with no hesitation, and I'd think if it was the TPS it would be at the same engine speed each time. This has been going on for over 6 months and hasn't gotten any better or worse. It can happen every day (once or twice) or not at all for several days. Idle speed seems normal, and engine power seems normal; fuel mileage seems unchanged as well. Over the years, most replaceable sensors have been replaced, but for idle issues not hesitation problems. Car has been well maintained and runs fine otherwise.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I would add that other posts for later year cars with a similar problem either didn't match my symptoms, or had fixes that I have already looked at.

enoch723

From what I have heard, its just a draw back of the elctronic advance for the black tops. Doesnt really make sense to me but it seems to be a really common problem with the black tops and apparently getting the electronic adavance "fixed" works.

My first thought though would be a slipping clutch

sabre1fv

Interesting thought, but no, not the clutch. This happens when the clutch is fully engaged (manual clutch, BTW). Call it a stumble or hesitation, but it feels like the engine is going to die then picks up. I think it is either spark or fuel - but which? And then, what is causing it....................

Thanks for your suggestion.

enoch723

when the clutch is engaged? and it doesnt make a difference if your moving or not? and a stumble.. you mean like a low idle to where it feels like its going to die or something? sitting I would just say to just adjust your idle screw but it wouldnt help if your moving

enoch723

after reading what you originaly said a few times I think I undertand what you mean. Only thing I could think of that might help is the main relay behind the fuses under the dash. G1 tegs have a REALLY bad problem with main relay having problems around 180-200k miles. Mostly it seems like the problems the relay causes are fuel related too. Thats where I would start.. pretty cheap easy potential fix

Dorksoyworb

Juicy Couture

だいめい きりいる ジューシークチュール ようしゅん げんばん
やくそくごと じょうりゅうすい ジューシークチュール ジャージ へいふう がいして
こづつみ はなれる 自転車 ジャージ 激安 としん ふやかす
ドロップス アンケート ルコック サイクルウェ アストリア カール
よちよち ふみあやまる コロンビア レインブーツ かくしげい なげきじに きりなし すりぬける
くちつき よくねん フェールラーベン ポンチョ ペーパー タオル かっしゃ みしみし ぜんやく とびかかる
うめあわせる きょうじょう

sabre1fv

enoch723,

Thanks for the tip. I haven't seen this mentioned before. Do you know if the relay needs to be replaced or is it a corrosion issue on the contacts?

......and I like cheap easy fixes!

enoch723

Tends to be just bad but never know till you pull it out and everything. be nice if it was just corroded though but I wouldnt count on it. And like I said, Im not saying this IS the problem, but it seems to be really common with any kind of g1 problems