1987 tegra issues

tc3k101

Hey Everyone I recently bought a 87 ls 3door hatch and I bought it knowing it had issues.

For one the car sometimes doesn't want to start yes I did a lot of searching found out the main relay likes to go bad. Ordered one, now my oil is milky in color after doing a rad swap and flushing the system. Ordering a complete gasket set. Figured if I'm tearing into the motor might as well replace all gaskets.

When I bought the car while driving it it completely loss power and I pop started it and it had a really bad electrical smell. Now sometimes when starting it the smell appears and it seems like it's coming the rear of the engine bay near the control box. The kid did a lot of funky wiring, he cut the wires from the fans and hooked up a toggle switch which seems now I need to replace both fans with all new fan switch but I can't seem to find any OE fans or anything closely related.

Anyways What can I do about the fans, and it appears to either have head work or new cams installed.

A coworker said it had zc head on it but to be frank I don't know jack about Acuras.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

And radiator fan wiring he did

enoch723

Its not a zc head, but it does have zc cams in it. And the grounding wire that goes from the chassis to the valve cover really should be moved to the bolt right under the number 1 cylinder. Shouldnt hurt where it is, but with the older cars and electrical work, you want consistency. Other then that, i dont see much wrong other then all the wiring being exposed to the engine without any kind of heat protection. I would definetly move the wires that are all wrapped on the hose and by the timing belt, to somewhere less exposed then directly on a HOT ass hose. Lol

tc3k101

Yeah I'm not moving the the car any time soon, I plan on trying to ditch those fans and just get new ones with factory wiring but am having trouble finding them. Also I think the car needs a brake switch, when I step on the brake pedal with car off and no key in the ignition the instrument lights on the cluster and dash come on.

zack11122

You can keep the fans. Re wire and heat wrap them. Also relocate them.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

tc3k101

Thanks guys, anyone know of a good place to get a head gasket set from? Looking to possibly redo all the seals the gasket set I ordered ended up never showing up so now I'm figuring that out if I cant work things out through the parts place I'd like a really good gasket set. Thanks in advance

-Josh

zack11122

Get your money back. Contact them or whoever was shipping the package(usps,FedEx,ect).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2