03 RSX Questions about turbos

netherflame

HI I have a stock 03 rsx automatic with sport shifter.
I have a few questions
1.Would it be worth it for me to get to switched to maunal or to try to buy/trade for a manual rsx?
2.How big of a difference is there from a type s to a regular?
3.If I were to turbo it was is a good size to give the biggest power gain with out making the turbo useless if that makes any sense?

Mind you I am an 18 year old college student so money is tight unless I win the lottery.But I would like this more for an aim towards the future.

Thanks,
Rob

98_gsr

1) I would trade for a manual RSX considering yours is stock...its not worth the trouble.
2) Not sure on the specifics of the K series motors, but i know the type s has like 200bhp? plus little things like leather interior, 6spd as apposed to 5spd tranny, and bose radio.
3) Im not sure about turbo size.

maybe think about supercharging too cuz turbos sometimes run out of breath with our high revving engines plus supercharging is a lot more reliable especially for someone in college or comin out of college

g3teg97

Super Moderator
MAIN differences between a Type-S and base motor.

-High end VTEC crossover vs the 2200 rpm cross over to save gas in the base.
-VTEC on both intake and exhaust cam vs just the intake cam.
-11:1 compression vs 9.8:1
-Higher flowing head
-Stronger bottom end for higher revs
-Balanced crankshaft vs base which uses balance shafts
-Different ecu/computer settings (obivously)
-Alumium oilpan that reinforces the block for rigidity vs base standard honda oil pan.

Src: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=157796&SearchPagePosition=1&search=type+base&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=6&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=44

1caintegra

type-s and the RS
save ur money buy a type-s the only make 170s to the ground with basic mod but is a way better plate form for a turbo build.a basic rsx not to be mean are weak 150hp fatory spec with an auto.ur tranny wont hold a big turbo just save up.i have 03 type-s with basic mods i think is slow but can be a full on beast.

BlueMistDA

if money is tight, i would wait and save up. Its better to have reserves too. If you save up to do a tranny conversion, its rather complicated unless your experienced. You would need a 5 or 6 sped tranny, shifter box, shifter cables, master and slave cylinder, clutch, flywheel, pedal and a bunch of other misc stuff. All and all, it would be at least 1500 for stock stuff. And i think a type s complete motor setup is about $4000-4500.

On a side note, the k20a3 base has a plastic intake manifold too. I think it has the same engine as civic si. The only difference is k20a3 has about 6-9 more lbs of torque because of the si manifold and the k20a3 manifold. And there is only 3-4 lbs of torque difference from a base k20a3 to a type s k20a2, but a good 40 hps.