01 gsr engine into 96 ls

fast_84z

i am on here for a buddy. i just want to know what would be involved swapping a 01 gsr motor into a 96. i know everything will/should just bolt up but what about wiring?????? is there a jumper available for the ecm or do we have to swap the whole harness.

JdmITRCinci

JDM Bliss
fast_84z said:
i am on here for a buddy. i just want to know what would be involved swapping a 01 gsr motor into a 96. i know everything will/should just bolt up but what about wiring?????? is there a jumper available for the ecm or do we have to swap the whole harness.

You will need an OBD1 to OBD2 harness converter. You will need to run a line for the VTEC solenoid to the ECU. I suggest getting about 30ft of 18 gauge wire to do so. Run a line for the oil pressure sensor below the VTEC solenoid to the ECU. And a knock sensor. You may have to take some hoses from the GSR and use those with the LS engine bay because I think 2 hoses on the intake manifold are shorter. Be sure to solder the lines when you do the job. Don't half ass it because things can go pretty bad when you do a junk job. I have fixed a bunch of those. Get a diagram of the ECU. Honda Hookup has a manual for the 98 and up Integras.

Ill take some pics today of the wiring I did when I swapped my Type R in my 98 LS.

Last edited by a moderator:

JdmITRCinci

JDM Bliss
i stand corected. The 96 LS my friend g/f is OBD 1. I originaly though they were OBDII o well around the circle I go agen

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I'm assuming it isn't the original engine then. Every car in America went OBD2 in '96