Very quick header question......

gotlud3

Tried searching but found nothing, but anyways. I've been searching endlessly for a okay-header, not like extreme racing such as Hytech/SMSP/Rage and all those top notched header companies. I didn't want to go with a ITR header because I wanted a race header and not having to put a test pipe on. And I don't want to go with a ceramic because I was told that they would crack on me if I were to go on road trips, or long distance driving. But my main question is this.

If I were to purchase this DC Race Header (made for a 96-97 ITR), would this race header direct bolt onto my 99 GSR? Considering it would eliminate my cat and direct bolt onto my exhaust....Or would there be modifications necessary to make it fit?

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/ahs6612b.asp

If it doesn't, what header company should I go for if I were to spend around 400-600 dollars?

Thanks in advance!

mteg

Automatic Lover
If your going to spend $4-600, you can do a lot better than DC sports. I ahd a cermic one on my car-it never cracked but there were fitment issues with the o2 sensor. Check out Greddy and Apexi. As for a difference, I think theres a difference in size from the 96-97 gsr than other years. You'll probably have to have it custom welded.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I don't want to go with a ceramic because I was told that they would crack on me if I were to go on road trips, or long distance driving.
That is ridiculous, it's not true.

In that price range, get a Comptech header.

mteg said:
If your going to spend $4-600, you can do a lot better than DC sports.
All 94-99 GSR exhaust manifold's are the same.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
The legnth of the oem exhaust manifold changed in 2000. That's why there are different headers for 94-99 and 00-01.

gotlud3

http://bob123e.tripod.com/thegreatheadertest/

Just found this website, and seems like the DC JDM 4-1 header did pretty good on the dyno charts. And my question still exists, if I get the JDM 4-1 race header will that fit my 99GSR perfectly, or do I have to have the muffler shop custom weld some piping in order to fit that?

mteg

Automatic Lover
IDK, when I had my dc sports header the o2 sensor was too far forward. My friends got one on his 01 gsr and it fit with no problems, but thats not really a gaurentee.

Sonik

Now that there is this header topic, I have my friend with an automatic 96LS, he has Greddy headers for it, my question is, do these Greddy headers that are on a automatic trans 96LS fit onto a 99 GSR engine bay with no problem?