Transmission Help!

Acura4Life2014

I have a 1988 Acura Integra 5 speed manual D16a1 DOHC 1.6l motor. So when I get in the car and i go to shift you can like pull up on the shifter and then it will sink back down and it will also be a pain to get it into gear I have to basically granny shift and when i do the thing tries to push out of gear and like vibrate badly and resist getting into gear. I was wondering if i could just replace the old bell housing with a new/used one or if it is something different.

osiris19

Is it trying to pop out of all gears? And the sinking could be in the stabilizer bar where the shifter goes through the floor the bushings could be worn.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Acura4Life2014

Yeah like for every gear it is trying to push the shifter up and out. So would it be easier to install new transmission or just to replace the worn out parts.

osiris19

If it's popping it's possibly worn synchro sleeves or gear teeth. Definitely sound like it needs to be rebuilt. Replacing it would be easiest.

osiris19

The bell housing only bolts the trans to the engine and is the front cover of the trans. Your issue is likely internal. Either rebuild it or replace the transmission.

enoch723

I would inspect it though before you go replacing the tranny. Could be as simple and the linkage being bent or something

Acura4Life2014

Ok will do thanks. Also I was wondering if the D16a1 would be worth keeping or if it would be better to get a better motor if so what should i use for an engine swap if i wanted to replace tranny and motor at once?

Acura4Life2014

Good question lol the guy i bought it from did it i guess, so what should i replace it with if i wanted to make it faster and whatever.

zack11122

B20v. But everyone has their own preferences. It's your car. Do you want turbo? All motor? Or do you want something that's stock with some nice power. All about what your goal is. And mechanical skill.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Acura4Life2014

Ok and looking for like turbo and with lots of performance and I can do lots but i was looking at the b18c7 what do you think of it? something that can compete with like eclipses and civics.

zack11122

Muckman is the turbo king in these parts :thumbup: I'm not into the turbo setups so I have no idea.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2